John Sellers of PW's Childrens Bookshelf recently compiled a list of books for kids of all ages related to the election in Children's Publishers Stuff The Ballot Box. I culled the list for tween and teen appropriate fiction (you'll notice a couple of familiar titles on the list if you're a Fire Escape regular):
- As If Being 12 3/4 Isn’t Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President! by Donna Gephart (Delacorte, ages 8-12).
- Callie for President (Candy Apple #9) by Robin Wasserman (Scholastic, ages 9-12).
- George Washington’s Socks by Elvira Woodruff (Scholastic, ages 9-12).
- First Daughter: White House Rules by Mitali Perkins (Dutton, ages 10-up).
- First Daughter: Extreme American Makeover by Mitali Perkins (Dutton, ages 12-up).
- Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White (Feiwel & Friends, ages 12-up); also by White: The President’s Daughter, White House Autumn and Long Live the Queen.
- Soccer Chick Rules by Dawn FitzGerald (Square Fish, ages 10-14).
- First Boy by Gary Schmidt (Square Fish, ages 12-up).
- Vote for Larry by Janet Tashjian (Square Fish, ages 14-up).
I'm not quite sure how the powers that be figure out the age appropriateness of novels (my two books differ, for example, and I have no idea why). Any additions to the list?