YALSA's Best Books For Young Adults librarians and teens ask questions to decide whether or not the nominated books will make the final cut. I thought they might be helpful for all of us who review and evaluate novels. What do you think of these? Are there any surprises or questions you'd never ask?
- How well did the author capture your attention?
- How clear was the author’s theme or message?
- How vivid were the details?
- How well did the book build in intensity?
- How clear was the resolution?
- How well did the author’s language add to the book?
- How well did the writing match the book’s intended audience?
- How well did the characters develop?
- How effective was the author’s voice?
- How well did the dialogue match the theme and style of the book?
- How enticing was the cover?
- How enticing was the jacket blip?
- How much did you enjoy reading this book?
- How highly would you recommend this book?
- How likely are you to reread this book?
- How well did this book match your morals and ethics?
- How heavily did the influence of others affect your choice to read this book?
- How memorable was this book?
- How 3-D and alive was this book?
- How creative was this book?
- Did you finish the book? Why? Why not?
- What did you like or dislike about the cover?
- Pick 5 words to describe this book.